Special Educational Needs

Children with Special Educational Needs

A child is deemed to have special educational needs if he or she has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age. The school is committed to the early identification of, and provision for children with special needs. We have a clear policy, and a specially designated teacher known as a Special Educational Needs Disability Co-ordinator (SENDCO) to ensure that children with special educational needs get the best service. Ms. Hughes is our SENDCO.

Please follow this link for more information regarding our current provision.


The Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) reforms

Information for parents and carers

The government has changed the law. The Children and Families Act 2014 changed the way in which children and young people with Special Educational Needs and disabilities are supported at school and in the community. A new SEND Code of practice for all maintained educational settings, local authorities and health partners was published in July 2014.

Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP)

Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) will replace Statements. From September 2014, no new statements will be available. In stages, over the next year, children with an existing statement will have their statement transferred to an EHCP. Parent/ carers and young people will be involved in the transition process. New EHCPs for children with complex needs will be drawn up in cooperation with all agencies involved with the child. Parents’/carers’ as well as the child’s views on the personal goals and what kind of support is best to achieve them will be included in the plan. EHCP can start from birth and continue to support young people up to the age of 25 years. No child should lose their statement because of the changes to the system. Families with children going through statutory assessment leading to an EHCP may also be able to get help from an Independent Supporter – someone who doesn’t work for the local authority who can help parents and carers, and young people, through the process.

Local offer

From September 2014 every local authority will be required to have a “local offer” which informs parent/carers and young people with SEN or disabilities what is provided in their local area, including what to expect from local early years providers, schools, colleges, health and social care. In addition it will include information on how decisions are made about how services are allocated, how to request a personal budget, how to access more specialist support and how to complain or appeal. Local authorities must involve parent carers, children and young people in developing their local offer.

Details of Rushey Green's Local Offer can be found below:


For more information and advice please talk to Ms. Hughes (school contact details are shown on our home page). You might also want to visit: